Buying a house is the largest transaction most of us will ever make so it’s important to choose the right estate agent.
They should help you navigate the process, while giving you the confidence that everything will be handled professionally and efficiently.
I find the best way of choosing an estate agent is to bombard them with questions to see how they stack up.
But with so many questions to ask, it can be difficult to know where to start.
To help, here are my top tips to some of the most important questions to ask your estate agent when buying a home.
What to ask an estate agent when buying a house
1. What is your experience and expertise in the local real estate market? This is crucial when it comes to discovering whether the agent has the knowledge and experience you need to help you find the right property.
2. What is your approach to finding a home that meets my budget? This information can help you determine whether the agent has a process in place to help you find the right property and whether they are committed to working with you to find a property that meets your needs.
3. Can you provide me with a list of properties that meet my criteria? This can help you get a better understanding of the options available to you and help you make a more informed decision about which properties to view.
4. What is your communication and availability like? You need your agent to be responsive to your needs and this question will help your discover whether they will be available to answer your questions and provide support throughout the buying process.
5. What is your process for negotiating a purchase contract and closing the deal? Negotiating is a crucial part of the home buying process, so you need an agent that has the experience and knowledge necessary to help you successfully negotiate the purchase contract and close the deal.
6. What is your policy on disclosing information about the property and the transaction? Estate agents don’t have the best reputations, but this will hopefully give you an idea about whether the agent is transparent and honest in their communications with you.
7. What kind of support and resources do you provide to your clients? Choosing an estate agent is difficult, but this information can help you determine whether the agent provides additional resources and support to help you navigate the buying process and make the most informed decision possible.
8. What is your fee structure and how do you earn your commission? Finding out an estate agents fees is one of the first things you should do, and it’ll help you determine the cost of working with the agent in relation to your overall budget. Remember, you can always negotiate with the agent over fees.
9. Ask the estate agent to provide references from previous clients? Positive recommendations from other buyers and sellers can help you determine whether the agent has a good track record of helping clients find the right property and whether they have a good reputation in the local estate agency community.
10. Ask about the agent’s plans for staying informed about changes in the local property market. Your want your estate agent to be proactive and up-to-date with everything that’s happening in the area of your property hunt. Find out how they plan to stay informed as well.
These questions are just a starting point, and it is always a good idea to ask follow-up questions and do your own research to get a comprehensive understanding of the estate agent and their approach to helping you find the right property.
Use the internet to hunt for reviews. Look at dedicated property websites, Google reviews and social media. There’s no hiding place these days for a poor quality estate agent!
Remember, finding the right estate agent is an important part of the home-buying process, so take your time, do your research, and ask the right questions to make sure you are working with the right agent for your needs.